Are you a cabbage soup lover? I love soups with all kinds of veggies and cabbage soup is a favorite for our family. Dress up your basic cabbage soup with our Luxemburg Sausage. This could be a new family favorite for you too.
Yields about 8-10 cups
12 ounces Luxemburg Sausage sliced into bite sized pieces *
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 medium onion finely diced
2 carrots sliced into rounds
2 celery stalks sliced
3 garlic cloves minced
½ teaspoon Dried Oregano
¼ teaspoon Dried Thyme
¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
¼ teaspoon Rosemary
6 cups Chicken Broth
1 pound Small Red Potatoes cut into bite sized pieces (I like the skins left on)
1½ pound Green Cabbage washed & chopped into bite sized pieces
Salt to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. When the oil is heated, add the sausage. The sausage is already fully cooked, but I like to brown it a bit.
- Add the onions, carrots and celery to the pot. Cook the vegetables for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the garlic, oregano, thyme, black pepper and rosemary. Cook for about 1 minute
- Add the chicken broth and stir well from the bottom
- Increase the heat until the broth begins to boil. Let it boil for about a minute.
- Lower the heat to medium, cover the pot and simmer the soup for 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and the chopped cabbage to the soup.
- Bring the heat up again to boiling for a couple of minutes. Then lower the heat so the soup simmers for about 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Taste test, if salt is needed, add a bit at a time. I like to let others add salt as they like it versus over salting the pot.
Recipe idea adapted from: Cook2eatwell
* Luxemburg Sausage (nutrition info located in photo section)
As a self-proclaimed "dump and pour" cook, this information is approximate. Modifications made based on my family's preferences.
I'm not a trained culinary specialist, just someone with over 40 years of home cooking experience.
Please feel free to make changes to this recipe to fit your dietary needs.